Last Sunday my Mom, Madison, and I headed to the nursing home where my Grandma Mary Iffert lives. I had been thinking about going there to get a four generation picture for a while when my mom asked if it was o.k. if we took Madison to the picture. I haven't seen my Grandma in about three years and going there is the hardest thing I have had to do in a really long time. I feel very bad about myself for not visiting her, but I did not want to remember her this way. She is suffering from Alzheimer's. The visit was extremly hard and emotional for me. She never once opened her eyes and mumbled jibberish. I know she was there in spirit and I will always remember the Grandma Mary I know.......
I will always cherish this moment and picture forever.
I think the sign is too cute for words!!!
Madison did lighten the mood a little that day. She kept wanting to grab her Great Grandma's hair that was especially "done up" for the occasion! I also put Madison in one of my old outfits that my Grandma Mary had bought for me. I thought Grandma would appreciate that!
I am not going to lie, this post was very hard for me. I know this is stupid but I always have it in my heart that Mom will remember me. I too will cherish the day and the picture, and always pray that God will keep the rest of us from this terrible diease. No matter how old we all get, there are just some days that we need our Mom, just to tell them something good in our lives or to share our bad days. I miss my MOM! Thank you
ReplyDeleteTiffany and Madison for the memories, and may I be able to always keep them in my heart and mind. To any of you reading this, please call your mothers to tell them how much you love them, I wish I could. Love always-MOM
Tiffany and Susan,
ReplyDeleteI do know how you both feel, as you know my Dad also suffered from dementia. It was so hard to see the physical person you love, but know the mental ability sometimes faltered. I do remember as a little girl going to the Iffert's and Mary was alway a lively lady with an opinion to share, gues that trait carries on, right girls!!!! Tiffany, your Grandpa Leo was a good man who was of few words. Great people from Wendelin, they live on in our memories..... Roxanne